Online defensive driving courses, also called traffic school, are optional courses that award you with the following after completion:
- Two points may be removed* from the accumulated points you currently have on your license. *IMPORTANT NOTE: Point credits for State-approved, New Jersey defensive driving course curriculum only. Check with course providers before registering. You may only receive a two point reduction once every 5 years and only if there are points on your driving record at the time you complete the course.
- You may also qualify for an insurance rate reduction (contact your insurance agent for more information).
Traffic schools are approved by the MVC in New Jersey and cover generally the same topics as traffic school courses offered in other states across the U.S.
If you’ve been given the option to take a defensive driving course online following a moving violation, you should do it. The benefit of the two point reduction and insurance discount coupled with a useful review of your safe driving practices really makes the course worth your time and money.
Before you start searching for a course online, it’s important to review the contents of this post to make sure you qualify for the course, make sure you know what you will be learning, and understand how you should choose the right traffic school for you.
Are you eligible?
Technically, there’s nothing keeping you from taking a traffic school course in New Jersey. But if you want to really benefit from the course beyond becoming a safer driver, you need to be eligible for the insurance discount and/or the two point reduction from your license.
In order to qualify for the point reduction against your license, you must meet these two requirements
- You must have a valid driver’s license
- You only qualify for the point reduction once every five years
In order to qualify for the insurance discount you must meet these three requirements
- You must have a valid driver’s license
- You can only take the course for the insurance discount once every three years
- You may repeat the course when eligible for continuous savings
What do they teach in a defensive driving course?
The point reduction and discounted insurance are why people tend to take a defensive driving course, but the state rewards people who complete the course for a reason. A defensive driving course is not just something you should do to get it done. The courses are packed with really valuable information that will keep you safe on the road. Some of the topics that are covered in Defensive Drivers Group New Jersey’s course are listed below.
- What a yield sign really means (you may be surprised)
- Cell phone and texting laws
- Children: when can they ride in front?
- The basic speed law: why driving the speed limit may not be enough
- The special rules for blind intersections
- 4-way stop: who has the right of way?
- Fog: 6 tips for safe driving
- The 5 things you must do at a traffic accident
- 4 tips to stay safe if you see a drunk driver
The typical structure of an online defensive driving course is a lesson followed by a quiz. These lessons will cover the topics above (and more), and most courses will require an exam at the end of the course covering the topics learned throughout the course.
How do you find an online defensive driving course in New Jersey?
Now that you have a better understanding of who is eligible for a defensive driving course and what valuable information you will learn, it’s time to get into the process of finding and signing up for a trustworthy and affordable school.
The first step is to look up online traffic schools in New Jersey. Pages and pages of different options will pop up with advertisements and headlines screaming “pick my course it’s the best!”, but don’t be too quick to trust the first company you see.
Use the checklist below, containing essential features for traffic schools to go through the courses that look appealing and find the one that will save you money and give you the best overall experience.
- Make sure the course is licensed by the MVC
- Check for 5-star reviews
- Make sure the price is not too high
- Make sure the course has a flexible schedule
- Make sure the company has a responsive and helpful customer support line
Now that you have all of the knowledge and tools you need to find the right defensive driving course for you, start off your search by visiting Defensive Drivers Group New Jersey to see all the benefits we have to offer at an incredibly low price.